Mold can grow almost anywhere in a home or business, if conditions exist. If there is visible growth on painted wall surfaces, the concern becomes what may be growing on the other side of the wall. The environment of the interior of walls is quite different from the exterior. The interior of walls can be the perfect environment for mold growth. Mold is generally found to be worse on the backside of walls that remain wet for extended periods. The best option is to contain the work area, remove what is not salvageable, thoroughly clean the area, and treat what remains and is deemed salvageable.
When there is excessive humidity or moisture for extended periods, this may cause mold to become a problem on the inside of a home or business. The problem can originate from water damage that was not correctly handled. Water damages can be caused by water leaks or from a chronic condition like a plumbing leak or roof leak. High humidity or warm, moist air condensing on cool surfaces can create mold problems. It is ALWAYS best to have any possible mold problem evaluated and removed by certified and licensed mold professionals.
Mold can be a serious health risk. Mold is a catch-all term that applies to any of hundreds of types of fungi that can grow in the right conditions. Mold types range from those that cause slight irritation to those that can be deadly. Exposure to mold can cause wheezing, coughing, respiratory tract infection, and hypersensitivity pneumonitis, according to the Institute of Medicine. While mold is a health risk to anyone, it is especially dangerous to the sick, elderly, and to children. Mold can grow in any environment that is relatively warm and damp. Mold often starts in kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry facilities, and can quickly spread throughout a home or building. Mold grows quickly on drywall, carpet padding, insulation, and wooden framework. Without proper prevention and maintenance, mold can quickly spread to the walls of a building, attics, crawl spaces, and basements. Mold can lower property value and can easily cause thousands of dollars in damage in a short period of time and places millions of Americans' health at risk.
Could possible mold growing in your home be making you sick? Possibly. First discuss any symptoms with your doctor. While not all unexplained physical symptoms are mold-related and not all varieties of common indoor mold cause symptoms, they do occur. When they do so, most symptoms of mold exposure mimic allergic reactions or responses common to a variety of airborne triggers. Longer-term exposure to more toxic mold growing in your home can produce both acute and chronic symptoms that cover a wide spectrum of physical illness.
There are three broad categories of mold growth:
Allergenic Mold: These tend to symptoms that mimic other respiratory allergies. Sneezing, coughing and post-nasal drip are typical reactions.
Pathogenic Mold: These can trigger disease, including certain types of pneumonia. Inhalation of spores may result in lung infections, particularly in persons with suppressed immune response or the elderly and young.
Toxic Mold: These are considered poisonous. Exposure may trigger health consequences in almost anyone if the concentration of spores is high enough. Symptoms may include serious breathing difficulties, severe headaches, chronic fatigue, skin rashes, mental reactions ranging from brain fog to depression.
Suspected mold contamination should always be verified by a certified and licensed mold assessor and removed by a certified and licensed mold remediation specialist.
As certified professionals, we have the training and experience to:
We provide Mold Remediation and Removal Services in Leon, Gadsden, Jefferson, Liberty, Wakulla, Bay, Calhoun, Franklin, Gulf, Holmes, Jackson, and Washington counties in Florida and Decatur, Grady, and Thomas counties in Georgia.
Call us today at (850) 402-8930 or (850) 878-6469 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.